On this page, we will give you a complete overview of everything you need to know about the VeChain coins VET and VTHO and the VeChain Node system.
Table of Contents
A two-coin system
The VeChain economy consists of two coins, VET and VTHO. This was done to prevent the fees for using the blockchain (being paid in VTHO) from being directly affected by the price of the VET token. This way anyone using the VeChain blockchain can be guaranteed off a stable transaction fee, while the VET token can increase in value.
This is a major issue other projects like Ethereum and Bitcoin are currently struggling with, using a two token system, this issue is fixed.
VeChain token (VET)
Use case: Store of value and smart payment currency.
How to get: You can currently buy it from the open market, we recommend buying VET on Oceanex.pro. Strategic partners can buy from a dedicated pool.
Thor power (VTHO)
Use case: Needed to interact with the blockchain for certain operations, like executing smart contracts and transferring tokens. If you want to write data to the blockchain, you have to pay for this using VTHO.
How to get: You will generate Thor when owning VET. Currently, 1 VET generates 0.000432 VTHO per day. You can also buy on the open market, we recommend buying VTHO on Oceanex.pro.
Keeping transaction costs stable
The Foundation has two ways to keep transaction fees stable:
- The VeChain Foundation can increase or decrease the amount of VTHO that is needed to transfer data to the blockchain (decrease VTHO needed for a transaction > lower transaction costs).
- The VeChain Foundation can increase the amount of VTHO is generated by VET (increase VTHO supply > lower VTHO price > lower transaction costs).
The two-coin system gives people wanting to use the VeChain blockchain multiple ways to fund their transactions:
- Enterprises wanting to use the blockchain can buy the VTHO they need to put data on the blockchain from the open market.
- They can however also decide to buy VET. Using this VET they can then generate VTHO which they can use to pay for their blockchain operations.
- Users can buy VET and sell the VTHO they generate on the open market, allowing for an extra income source.
With the adoption of the VeChain blockchain more transactions will be generated, increasing the demand for VTHO. Given the examples above it is clear to see that this will also result in the demand for VET to rise.
When a certain amount of VeChain is placed inside a traceable wallet, you can apply that wallet to become a Node. There are various types of nodes, which all have different benefits, functions, and requirements.
note: You don’t need any hardware to run a VeChain Node, locking up (called staking) your VET in a wallet is all you need to do!
The nodes can be divided into two types:
The authority (also called Thrudheim) Nodes are used to validate all blockchain transactions. Authority nodes have the highest requirements, but also gives you access to the biggest benefits.
- There will only be 101 Authority Nodes
- Authority nodes are selected and rated by the VeChain foundation and require a full KYC and application procedure.
- Authority Nodes are the only nodes that dedicated hardware for blockchain validation.
- A minimum of 25.000.000 VET is required to be able to apply
- Receives the highest VTHO production rate and voting rights.
The economic nodes are not validating blockchain transaction, but offer stability to the ecosystem and provide benefits compared to non-Node VeChain owners.
- A minimum of 1.000.000 VET is required to gain access to the smallest Node.
- No hardware is required, just place your VET into a traceable wallet (no exchange) and using the VeChainThor mobile wallet go to rewards to upgrade to a Node.
The identity of the Authority Nodes
There has been a lot of discussion in the VeChain community if the identity of the 101 Authority Nodes should be made publicly known.
The Foundation has stated that they aim to reveal as much of the Authority Nodes as possible. However, this is a delicate matter. Single individuals having an Authority Node can become a target once their identity gets publicly know. Enterprises that are currently owning an Authority Node can also prefer to stay anonymous (for now) because they are not ready to publicly announce that they are using blockchain technology or to stay ahead of competitors.
Currently, multiple companies (for example DNV GL and PwC) have come forward announcing that they are holding an Authority Node.
To get an economic node, a certain amount of VET has to be placed in your VeChain Thor mobile wallet. When you meet the minimum amount of VET you can join the Node program by going to the Rewards tab in the mobile wallet.
Normal economic nodes
- 15.000.000 VET
- 30 day maturity period
- 5.000.000 million VET
- 20 day maturity period
- 1.000.000 VET
- 10 day maturity period
Important notes about economic nodes:
- You can upgrade and downgrade between Nodes.
The X Nodes program was launched to provide additional rewards for the most dedicated VeChain supporters.
Mjolnir X Node
- 15.600.000 VET needed
- 90 day maturity period when upgrading from a Thunder X Node
- If your wallet drops below 15.600.000 VET at any time, you will lose your X status forever.
Thunder X Node
- 5.600.000 VET needed
- 60 day maturity period when upgrading from a Strength X Node
- If your wallet drops below 5.600.000 VET at any time, you will lose your X status forever.
Strength X Node
- 1.600.000 VET needed
- 30 day maturity period when upgrading from a VeThor X Node
- If your wallet drops below 1.600.000 VET at any time, you will lose your X status forever.
VeThor X Node
- 600.000 VET needed
- No maturity period
- If your wallet drops below 600.000 VET at any time, you will lose your X status forever.
Important notes about x nodes:
- You can’t downgrade from one X Node to the other, you will lose X status. You can however upgrade.
- As an X node holder, you will get additional benefits such as VeChain Ico’s whitelist access.
The Node token system
Each Node is represented by a unique Token on the blockchain. This way you can transfer the Node to a different wallet, or even sell it to another user.
You can read more about the Node token system on the official VeChain medium here.
There currently are four various ways to generate VTHO with your VeChain. These four ways (called reward types) combined will determine your total VTHO generation rate.
Reward type 1
Requirements: Own VET, it does not matter how much you have. No need to stake them into a node.
VTHO generation rate: Each VET generates 0.000432 VTHO per day. This is the basic generation rate, which can be increased in the future but can never decrease.
- Some exchanges (like Binance and OceanEx) payout VeThor if you hold VeChain in your exchange wallet. Most exchanges pay out the VTHO generated weekly or monthly.
- In the mobile VeChainThor wallet you will generate VTHO with every block generated on the chain (every ~10 seconds).
Reward type 2
Requirements: An authority node
Thor Power generation rate: 30% of all VTHO consumed by blockchain transactions will be rewarded to the 101 owners of a Thrudheim Masternode.
- The other 70% of Thor Power used will be burned.
Reward type 3
Requirements: An authority, economic or X Node (excluding the smallest VeThor X node)
Thor Power generation rate: The VeChain foundation has set up a special pool called the Foundation Reward Pool that has 15 billion VET in it. The Thor Power generated by this pool will be divided amongst those eligible for reward type 3.
- The foundation pool will decrease by 2.5 billion VET every 6 months, until further notice.
Reward type 4
Requirements: An authority node or X economic node.
Thor Power generation rate: The VeChain foundation has set up a special pool called the Foundation X Reward Pool that has 5 billion VET in it. The Thor Power generated by this pool will be divided among those eligible for reward type 4.
- The foundation x pool will remain at 5 billion VET, until further notice.
VTHO rewards overview
All data provided in the tables below has been calculated using the using the VTHO rewards pay-out that has taken place on 15-10-2018.
Please note that we have seen rewards fluctuate by as much as 5% from day to day, so use these numbers as an indicator.
Do you have any questions? Feel free to ask them in the comments below!